Home Latest Search 🔎 Sections News Investigations Politics Health Tech & Science Pop Culture funny jokes Business Latino TV Nightly News Meet the Press Dateline Today Multimedia Photo Video More from NBC Local News Weather Sports MSNBC.com NBC.com re/code peacock productions funny jokes
After publishing a story Thursday on Eagle Scouts who have returned their medals, badges and other regalia to protest the Boy Scouts of America policy banning gays and lesbians, we received more than 100 emails from current and former Scouts, many of them quite emotional. A selection of those messages is included here.
“I am an Eagle Scout from 1961 in Wyoming and my son is an Eagle Scout from 1995 in Arizona. We both agree with the BSA in not allowing gays into their organization. That is their constitutional right to have parameters and requirements for their membership. The LGBT community is the antithesis of what Scouting stands for. It is their right to protest and disagree. funny jokes But the power of a few should not be able to change the traditions and history of the scouting movement for everyone else. It they don't like it, maybe some other group would better accept their beliefs, ideals and lifestyles.” -- Dale Hunt, 64, Tempe, Ariz., funny jokes Eagle Scout
“I am very proud of earning the rank of Eagle Scout, and I am also proud of the BSA for sticking to their guns in the culture wars. I am saddened by those who feel it is necessary to return their Eagle badge but they certainly have the right to do so while this is still a free country. The BSA is a completely private organization and is free to make a stand for their values. It is sad to see so many other organizations abandoning their values on the altar of political correctness. What part of the Scout Oath: “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout law; To help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight” do they not get? -- Roger M. Devaney, 50, Spokane, funny jokes Wash., funny jokes Eagle Scout
“I earned my Eagle Scout in 1983. After reading your story I pulled the badge - one of my most prized possessions - from my safe and with a heavy heart mailed it off to the Boy Scouts. … I only regret not doing it sooner.” -- Jad Davenport, 46, Denver, Colo., Eagle Scout
“I funny jokes earned my Eagle Scout award in 1965 in Iowa at the age of 14. My card is signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson. My Court of Honor was attended by my parents, funny jokes my four grandparents, my scout leaders and fellow scouts, my teachers and coaches, my Lutheran minister, and special friends of my parents. It was a very big deal in a small Iowa town in the mid-1960s. funny jokes I truly loved my Scouting experience -- and the arduous pathway I traversed in earning my Eagle. Yesterday, I returned my Eagle award to the Boy Scouts of America. I was immensely proud of this achievement for 47 years. No longer. My children are proud of my humble gesture in returning the award. My dad, had he lived to see this, probably would have thought I am crazy. I would have assured him that it is the right and honorable thing to do -- at least for me.” -- Steve Barghols, 61, Oklahoma City, Okla., Eagle Scout
" I achieved the rank of Eagle Scout in 1964 in Atlanta, Georgia. Since then, my career has taken me from working in the White House under President Jimmy Carter to a decade of selling computers for a very conservative funny jokes Atlanta based 'good old boy' corporation. Since 1991, my life-partner and I have run an LGBT Community Center in the town of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware which is often referred to as the 'nation’s summer capitol.' In all those years, no matter funny jokes how upset I may have been with the national leadership of the Boy Scouts of America, I never considered returning my Eagle Scout badge. Even though I was 'gay as a goose' when I earned it, I did in fact earn it, and there’s no way they are getting it back. I only hope other eagle scouts feel as proud of their achievement as I do of mine."
“I funny jokes applaud the decision from the BSA!! My opinion, if the BSA had ruled the other way ... I would be returning my Eagle Scout Award. And I am confident that my immediate family that contains 5 additional Eagle Scouts would also each consider the same action.” -- Steven Homer, 44, Dublin, Ohio, Eagle Scout and Scoutmaster
“As for my personal stance with the scouts, I am torn. In fact, to see the divide publicly is one thing, but I see the divide in my family as well. My father (the first eagle in the family) is a firm supporter of the ban, he has very strict funny jokes Christian views on homosexuality and frowns upon it. He is in support of the ban by the BSA. I, however, am on the other end of the spectrum. I believe that a person’s sexuality should not affect their membership
No comments:
Post a Comment